Saturday, December 20, 2014

Bean Soup

On the other end of the cooking spectrum is the "I haven't gone shopping, and I need to cook something."  This is how I came up with the soup in the pic below. My wonderful neighbor showed up at my doorstep with a bunch of "extras."

I must say, her timing was perfect!! One of the things she gave me was a dried bag of beans.  I was thinking "I wonder what I can do with these?"  I wound up making something else for dinner that night and soaked the beans over night.

The next day I drained them, rinsed them and added them to a pot of 4 cups of chicken broth.  I then added 1 packet of Knorr's Homestyle chicken stock, 1 smoked turkey wing (which I happened to have in the freezer), and a little bit of water.  

I added chopped white onion, sauteed fresh garlic, some Slap Yo Mamma seasoning, a little Kosher salt, and some fresh ground pepper.  I brought the soup to a boil, then reduced the heat and simmered it, covered, for about 1 hour. 

If I make it again, I will simmer it a little longer than an hour, because the some of the beans weren't as soft as I would like for them to be.  They weren't hard, just a little firm.  The soup was VERY flavorful and tasty.  The family loved it!! SCORE!!! ;-))

I cooked some white rice to go along with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment